What happens during the consultation?
It is Melanie’s aim to welcome you into a safe and comfortable environment where you will feel able to share the health issue you have, knowing that you will be carefully listened to and all of your symptoms and concerns are taken seriously and with empathy.
For homeopathy to work effectively, a lot of information needs to be gathered. Therefore, the first consultation for a chronic complaint will last for up to 90 minutes. During this time the symptoms of the chief complaint (which is the main complaint you want to have treatment for) will need to be explored. However, it is important to gather information on other, maybe less pressing, complaints you also experience, your medical history and that of your family, plus general information that may affect you such as:
- Any changes you have experienced since the appearance of the chief complaint
- Your reactions to the environment
- Weather conditions that either suit you or make you feel worse
- How you react to temperature
- Your cravings/aversions for different foods
- Your sleep pattern
- The times of the day you feel particularly good or bad
- Your mental and emotional make up.
In the first few months of treatment, it is important to have regular follow-up consultations. These are booked at the end of the appointment to be attended in 4-6 weeks’ time, lasting up to 60 minutes. These consultations focus on discussing how you and your symptoms have responded to the treatment and to assess the effect of the remedy.
Child Consultation (aged up to and including 16 years)
Children’s consultations are very similar to that of an adult consultation, however the duration is shorter at up to 60 minutes for the first consultation and up to 45 minutes for the follow up. Children can only be seen with an accompanying adult/parent and must be supervised at all times.
The first consultation is very similar to a main consultation. However, they can last for up to 2 hours due to the extensive and in-depth nature of the information gathering process. On top of the information required as listed above, it is necessary to explore:
- Information surrounding the parents health at conception
- The pregnancy & birth
- The names of all chemicals, vaccines and drugs the child and parents have been exposed to
- Anything else deemed to be of importance relating to the child’s health
Follow up consultations are required on a monthly basis.
Homeopathic remedies are not supplied or included in the fee for the consultation. You are advised to purchase you remedy from Ainsworths Pharmacy 0207 9355330 or Helios Pharmacy 01892 537254. Some remedies are available locally in Boots Pharmacy or local health shops.